Firelands Regional Medical Center is the area's largest and most comprehensive resource for quality medical care. Resulting from the consolidation of what once were three separate hospitals serving the area, Firelands Regional Medical Center now serves as the only full-service medical center in Erie County. Firelands Regional Medical Center is locally managed and governed as a not-for-profit healthcare facility.
- Sandusky is located on the beautiful shores of Lake Erie, midway between Cleveland and Toledo, near State Route 2 and the Ohio Turnpike (Route 80).
- Firelands Regional Medical Center serves the counties of Erie, Ottawa, Sandusky and Huron, covering a regional service area with over 300,000 residents.
- Firelands Counseling and Recovery Services has 10 offices located in seven counties: Erie, Huron, Lorain, Ottawa, Sandusky, Seneca and Wyandot.
- Firelands Home Health Services currently serves four counties (Erie, Huron, Ottawa and Sandusky) and parts of nine more communities (Crawford, Cuyahoga, Hancock, Lorain, Lucas, Seneca, Wood, Wyandot and Richland).
By the Numbers
- 400 registered beds
- More than 9,300 inpatients and 231,000 outpatients served in 2012
- Approximately 2,168 employees; Sandusky’s largest year-round employer
- Over 52,056 Emergency Room, Emergency QuickCare & Urgent Care (July – December) visits in 2012
- 732 births in 2012
- 262 medical staff members, representing over 35 different specialties
- Accredited by the American Osteopathic Association (AOA)
Firelands Regional Health System provided over $32.9 million in community benefit in 2012. Community benefit includes uncovered costs of medical education, charity care and care not covered by Medicare and Medicaid, donations, community health education and outreach programs, and subsidized health services.
Hospital Network Affiliations
- University Hospitals Seidman Cancer Center collaboration and physician staffing agreement