Our History

Our History

The Firelands Regional Medical Center School of Nursing has a history dating back to 1905. Established by the Sisters of Charity of St. Augustine of Cleveland, Ohio, the school's first base of operation was a house in Sandusky that served as a combined residence and class facility. This building housed both classrooms and student quarters and was used until new facilities were provided in 1960. A group of five nurses participated in the first formal commencement on Sept. 26, 1907.

The Sisters of St. Francis of Sylvania, Ohio took over administration of the school in 1923. The Great Depression in the early '30s forced the school's closing from 1934 to 1942. When it reopened, many changes were made in curriculum, program standards and physical facilities.

In 1971, the School of Nursing became the third school in the nation and the only school in Ohio to offer a program of study that enabled a licensed practical nurse to qualify for admission to the examination for professional nurse registration.

In 2001, the ownership of the School of Nursing was transferred to Firelands Regional Medical Center. This arrangement provides today's nursing students with the opportunity to practice their skills at this comprehensive, full-service, 400-bed regional health care facility serving a five-county area of over 300,000 people.

Today, the Firelands Regional Medical Center School of Nursing has not only maintained its diploma program but has added more educational and career options to give today's nurses and nursing students greater opportunities in the healthcare profession.